Thursday, December 18, 2014

Measurement Fun with Christmas Trees

We completed the cutest activity today and the best part is that it incorporated measurement skills. AND it only took about 5 minutes to prepare.  A colleague of mine found it on Teaching Maddeness' blog.  CLICK HERE to view her original post, or keep reading to see what we did. If you've never read her blog and you teach 2nd grade, you've got to check it out.  Love her ideas.  

We created these adorable trees by cutting strips of construction paper into different lengths.  I simply cut the construction paper into strips that were about 1 1/2 inches wide and told my kiddos they needed to measure the strips into different lengths.  They used  a total of 8 strips and the smallest strip was 1 inch long while the longest was 8 inches long.  

I required my kiddos write the actual measurement on each strip so I could check for accuracy (this took a bit of the cuteness away, but helped me to know who knew how to measure and who didn't). 


When they were done measuring, cutting, and assembling the tree, I allowed them decorate it however they pleased.  As an extension, I had them answer the following question: 

If you have some extra time before your Christmas break, I highly suggest completing this activity.  And don't forget to check out Amanda's blog, Teaching Maddeness, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment